CIRCO MASSIMO EXCLUSIVE SUITE
The Circus Maximus Exclusive Suites is located in a setting cultural and historical very particular ,Via dei Cerchi fact, the street where the hotel is located, connects Piazza di Porta Capena to Piazza della Bocca della verità, The road follows a very ancient route called “Vicus Consinius” in memory of the ancient worship of the altar of the buried god Conso, protector of barns and procurement: here were celebrated “Consualia”, a party that took place on August 23, the period of harvest, and December 15 . In the mid-nineteenth century, more precisely in 1853, the street became the seat of the first workshop, called “Circles” the Anglo-American Society for gas lighting of the city of Rome and in 1939 the way was paved and expanded with the demolition of some buildings and workshop of gas on the side of the Circus Maximus and other facilities on the Palatine side: it was on this occasion that was also demolished the “Santa Maria de manu church”.
The name was derived from a large marble hand (probably an ex voto) with the raised index that was found on the facade and that the people of Cicero called “hand” and that still stands as a symbol of the Circus Maximus exclusive suite. In the sixteenth century it was said that the finger indicate the price of wine, or “1 to bajocco for Fojetta. Here was located also the Congregation of Our Lady of circles and of Jesus the Nazarene, who was left alive until the demolition of the church. At number 125 remains part of the apse of the church which was later called “Santa Maria dei Cerchi” desecrated, also became home to a blacksmith’s shop. the church’s memory still lingers in the soul of today’s Circus Maximus Exclusive Suite, whose structure is consists of a fully renovated farmhouse that was part of the Farnese Gardens.
The facade, built in the late seventeenth century, works as a mask of the same house, almost a theatrical backdrop: on it, crowning the decoration ad oculi that characterizes the facade, is the “Cicero’s hand” as it is still called this plaster cast (the original has unfortunately been lost.) the prospectus, in an architectural game of full and empty, spread between the windows of varying geometry and two side doors, all framed with the Farnese lilies. The building is currently owned by the Olivetan Benedictine Fathers, the congregation founded in 1313 in Monte Oliveto Maggiore, near Siena, and was built as an annex to the neighboring monastery of St. Anastasia church.